Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mocha Brownies

Since our move to Costa Rica, most of our stuff is still boxed in the casita's garage, waiting for our imminent move into our new Casa. This should occur in within the next couple of week, but that doesn't help me now... I still can't get to my cookbooks. I've been hungry for some chewy, homemade brownies and decided to browse for recipes online. I finally came across a couple of recipes that sounded yummy and cobbled them together. As I started to gather all the ingredients, I discovered my wonderful bottle of vanilla had totally evaporated due a cracked plastic cap.

How do you make brownies without vanilla?

Sitting on the casita's kitchen counter was a bottle of "Cafe Rica," which I think is even better than "Kahlua," and it's less than half the price. I substituted the "Cafe Rica" for the vanilla and the brownies came out "over the top" yummy. I may never make brownies with vanilla again.


Ingredients
1 cup butter
2 cup white sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon coffee liquor
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup of walnuts or pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 9x13 inch pan.

In a large saucepan, melt 1 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 tablespoon coffee liquor. Beat in 3/4 cup cocoa, 1 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.

I didn't frost my brownies, but if you want to, go ahead. Here is a simple recipe:

Mix these ingredients and frost the brownies while they are still warm.

5 tablespoons butter, softened
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or 1 tablespoon coffee liquor
1 and 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author